Both the Salon and the Moat are a spaces for wordsmiths, storytellers, and readers to gather, sharing ideas, meeting writers new to town and chatting about current projects.
Previously we spent nearly three excellent years at Beer Deluxe and before that, we had a happy home in artsy bar Loop.
We’ve chosen our venue to be as open as possible, keeping in mind:
- Wheelchair access: take the ramp up to the Wheeler Centre reception and then the elevator down to the Moat, disabled toilets inside.
- Disability parking: metered street-side parking spaces on the north side of Little Lonsdale Street.
- Bus: the nearest bus stops are on Lonsdale, Russell and Exhibition Streets.
- Train: Melbourne Central Station is directly opposite the State Library of Victoria’s front entrance. Most metro trains stop there.
- Tram: Trams stop at the superstop outside the State Library on Swanston Street, between Little Lonsdale and LaTrobe Streets.
- Bicycle: There are several bike racks close to the Wheeler Centre where you can lock up your bike.
- Taxi: The nearest taxi rank is on Elizabeth Street, outside Melbourne Central.
- Car: There are several paid carparks close to the Wheeler Centre, including at Melbourne Central and QV shopping centres. There is two-hour on-street parking on Little Lonsdale Street.
- Children: the venue is fully licensed as a restaurant so children are welcome, although the conversations may get a little out of their depth!